Thursday, September 19, 2013



Last week I said goodbye to my old Blackberry, and I replaced it with a new friend: 


We hung out a lot, and she was fairly responsive to all of my demands. This is what we did together last week: 
  •          I bought train tickets for a quick trip to Toronto.
  •          Paid my cell phone bill (way less painful on a smaller screen...)
  •         Transferred money between bank accounts for a short lived shopping spree...
  •          Found a shuttle service in Ottawa to transport my brother to a family gathering.
  •        ...and accomplished a little more online shopping...

Yes, having a smarter phone has made my life a lot easier when it comes to surfing the web. However, I can only speak for myself - here are some stats on how the rest of the world is experiencing life with their mobile devices:


  • Global mobile traffic now accounts for 15% of all internet traffic. (Internet Trends 2013)
  • No one screen size has more than 20% of the market share.(Mobify Research and Development)
  • 61% of people have a better opinion of brands when they offer a good mobile experience. (Latitude)
  • 90% of people move between devices to accomplish a goal, whether it’s on smartphones, PCs, tablets or TV. (Google)

A great user experience on any mobile device requires a responsive web design. When I say that my life is easier because of my new phone, it's not just my phone that takes all of the credit. Websites that adapt to the phone I'm using are actually the reason why my phone is so convenient. 

When I have a good experience with my phone, it's because I can navigate a website using my phone as efficiently as I can using a desktop computer.

Having a website designed to be responsive means that your website will adapt to any screen it is viewed on, whether it be a computer monitor, tablet, cellphone, or television. One website can change its design formation based entirely on how the user is interacting with it, making for a more positive user experience. By developing your website to be responsive, your current and potential customers can easily learn more about your business wherever they are, and with whatever device they choose.


Your website is the front door to your company, and the way your customers are using your website is changing quickly.  What are you doing to keep up with their needs? 


2 comments: